The Orthodox church of Sts Cosmas and Damian in Piorunka

The Orthodox church of Sts Cosmas and Damian in Piorunka was built in 1798. It is anorth-western Lemko church, oriented (its presbytery faces east) and tripartite. The square - shaped presbytery, the nave and the church porch have log-framework structure, and the tower featuring an overhung loft embraces the porch with its pillars. The walls are shingled, while the pavilion roofs and bulbous domes topping them are covered with sheet metal. The interior features polychrome decoration of 1930. The iconostasis from the turn of the 1600s and the 1700s is almost entirely original. The most interesting painting in the iconostas is a portrait of a Lemko shepherd against a mountainous panorama. This is a rarity as lay scenes used to feature on the iconostasis only exceptionally. In the nave are two small sidealtarpieces (early 1700s).


Mass/opening hours
Sunday and holidays: 9:30


address
The Orthodox church of Sts Cosmas and Damian in Piorunka
Czyrna 37, 33-380 Czyrna


contact details
tel. +48 18 47 41 610


GPS
N49 29.521 (49.492016)
E20 59.741 (20.995683)